Cotrimoxazole Forte Caplet, each caplet contains : Sulfamethoxazole 800 mg and Trimethoprim 160 mg.
Cotrimoxazole with active ingredient Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprimare available in tablets 480 mg, caplets 960 mg and suspension 240 mg/5 ml. Cotrimoxazole tablet contains Sulfamethoxazole 400 mg and Trimethoprim 80 mg. Cotrimoxazole Forte caplet contains Sulfamethoxazole 800 mg and Trimethoprim 160 mg. Cotrimoxazole suspension contains Sulfamethoxazole 200 mg/5 ml and Trimethoprim 40 mg/5 ml.
– Urinary tract infections such as pyelonephritis, pyelitis, acute and chronic prostates caused by sensitive microorganisms like : E. coli, Klebsiella, Enterobacter and Proteus mirabilis.
– Gastrointestinal tract infections, especially caused by Salmonella and Shigella, such as, typhoid fever, paratyphoid and bacillary dysentery.
– Respiratory tract infections such as acute bronchitis and acute sinusitis caused by H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae.
– ENT infections such as : Acute otitis media and acute sinusitis caused by H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATIONS :
Cotrimoxazole Tablet and Cotrimoxazole Forte Caplet
Adults and children over 12 years :
|Usual dosage (for 10 – 14 days)||2 x 2 tablets daily||2 x 1 caplets daily|
|For long therapy dosage (> 14 days)||2 x 1 tablets daily||2 x ½ caplets daily|
|For severe infections||2 x 3 tablets daily||2 x 1½ caplets daily|
|Uncomplicated gonorrhoea (for 2 days)||2 x 4 tablets daily||2 x 2 caplets daily|
Taken this drug in the morning or evening after meal and drink a large amount of water.
– Patients which known sensitive to sulfonamides or Trimethoprim.
– Babies under 2 months.
– Megaloblastic anemia patients caused by folic deficiencies.
– Pregnant and breastfeeding woman, because sulfonamides can pass through placenta and excreted in breast milk and caused kernicterus.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS :
– When using this drug, drink a lot of water to avoid crystalluria.
– Patients with renal impairment, the dosage should be reduced. The administration should be with long interval to avoid drug cumulative effect in blood.
– Routine blood checked, recommended when this drug used in a long period, because it may caused blood dyscrasia.
– Not recommended for pharyngitis caused by β-hemolytic Streptococcus group A.
– Stop Cotrimoxazole usage if skin rash or other serious side effect appeared when using this drug.
DRUG INTERACTIONS :
- Cotrimoxazole can increased the effect of anticoagulant agents and extend the half lives of Phenytoin also can influences the dosage of hypoglycemic agents.
- Reported that Cotrimoxazole can caused megaloblastic anemia if it’s administered concomitant with drugs which can inhibit folic production e.g. Pyrimethamine.
- Concomitant therapy with diuretic especially thiazide can increase the incidence of thrombocytopenia.
ADVERSE REACTIONS :
– Nausea, vomiting, skin rash.
– Leucopenia, trombositopenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, blood dyscrasia.
– On long term administration caused megaloblastic anemia, even rarely reported but this syndrome can be tolerated with folic acid therapy.
– Even rarely reported can caused fatal hypersensitivity reaction on skin or blood like Stevens Johnson Syndrome, epidermal toxic, fulminant necrosis, hepatic necrosis and other blood dyscrasia.
Cotrimoxazole Forte Caplet Box, 10 strips @ 10 caplets Reg. No. GKL1002342404A1
STORE BELOW 30ºC, PROTECT FROM LIGHT
ON MEDICAL PRESCRIPTION ONLY
Manufactured by :
Sidoarjo – Indonesia