Cotrimoxazole Suspension, each 5 ml (a measurement spoonful) contains : Sulfamethoxazole 200 mg and Trimethoprim 40 mg.
Cotrimoxazole with active ingredient Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprimare available in tablets 480 mg, caplets 960 mg and suspension 240 mg/5 ml. Cotrimoxazole tablet contains Sulfamethoxazole 400 mg and Trimethoprim 80 mg. Cotrimoxazole Forte caplet contains Sulfamethoxazole 800 mg and Trimethoprim 160 mg. Cotrimoxazole suspension contains Sulfamethoxazole 200 mg/5 ml and Trimethoprim 40 mg/5 ml.
– Urinary tract infections such as pyelonephritis, pyelitis, acute and chronic prostates caused by sensitive microorganisms like : E. coli, Klebsiella, Enterobacter and Proteus mirabilis.
– Gastrointestinal tract infections, especially caused by Salmonella and Shigella, such as, typhoid fever, paratyphoid and bacillary dysentery.
– Respiratory tract infections such as acute bronchitis and acute sinusitis caused by H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae.
– ENT infections such as : Acute otitis media and acute sinusitis caused by H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATIONS :
For 2 months of age and over :
|Body Weight||Every 12 hours|
|10 kg||5 ml (1 measurement spoonful @ 5 ml)|
|20 kg||10 ml (2 measurement spoonfuls @ 5 ml)|
|30 kg||15 ml (3 measurement spoonfuls @ 5 ml)|
|40 kg||20 ml (4 measurement spoonfuls @ 5 ml)|
Dosage for patients with impaired renal function :
15 – 30
½ usual dosage
– Patients which known sensitive to sulfonamides or Trimethoprim.
– Babies under 2 months.
– Megaloblastic anemia patients caused by folic deficiencies.
– Pregnant and breastfeeding woman, because sulfonamides can pass through placenta and excreted in breast milk and caused kernicterus.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS :
– When using this drug, drink a lot of water to avoid crystalluria.
– Patients with renal impairment, the dosage should be reduced. The administration should be with long interval to avoid drug cumulative effect in blood.
– Routine blood checked, recommended when this drug used in a long period, because it may caused blood dyscrasia.
– Not recommended for pharyngitis caused by β-hemolytic Streptococcus group A.
– Stop Cotrimoxazole usage if skin rash or other serious side effect appeared when using this drug.
DRUG INTERACTIONS :
- Cotrimoxazole can increased the effect of anticoagulant agents and extend the half lives of Phenytoin also can influences the dosage of hypoglycemic agents.
- Reported that Cotrimoxazole can caused megaloblastic anemia if it’s administered concomitant with drugs which can inhibit folic production e.g. Pyrimethamine.
- Concomitant therapy with diuretic especially thiazide can increase the incidence of thrombocytopenia.
ADVERSE REACTIONS :
– Nausea, vomiting, skin rash.
– Leucopenia, trombositopenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, blood dyscrasia.
– On long term administration caused megaloblastic anemia, even rarely reported but this syndrome can be tolerated with folic acid therapy.
– Even rarely reported can caused fatal hypersensitivity reaction on skin or blood like Stevens Johnson Syndrome, epidermal toxic, fulminant necrosis, hepatic necrosis and other blood dyscrasia.
Cotrimoxazole Suspension Bottle @ 60 ml Reg. No. GKL1002343333A1
STORE BELOW 30ºC, PROTECT FROM LIGHT
ON MEDICAL PRESCRIPTION ONLY
Manufactured by :
Sidoarjo – Indonesia